Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Robots Revisited

From the days of Isaac Asimov, robots have fascinated me. It took long time for me to realise that all the huge machines used in assembly lines are also robots. For me the robot word used to conjure up an image of a bipedal with mechanical movement and a squeaky voice. Though we are far from the kind of Robots Asimov has written of, nevertheless we making a good progress. I am sure with nano computing or quantum computing around the corner in a few decades, androids will be a reality.

Now what is it that triggered this sudden interest in robots. I have come across this blog on Engadget where they talk about robotic Olympics. The idea of Olympics is not what exited me, its the robots and the small cute things they could do. For more information you can check this blog.
If you feel too lazy to check out the link, watch the video over here.




Though not in the same league as above this is an interesting post on Gizmodo. This post talks about a robot that plays Beethoven. Any talk on robots will be incomplete without Aibo from Sony. To talk about Aibo is not possible here. Pages and pages are sufficient to write about this technological wonder from Sony. You can have a preview to Aibo in this video (For more just search Aibo on youtube).

Now if you are in love with it and want to get one, I am sorry to say it may not be possible considering Sony decided to stop its production for economic reasons. How, I envy all those proud Aibo owners.

What will be next in this world of robots, just wait and watch. All those geeks out there are going to surprise you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now, I did not want to add another entry on robotics so fast. So am adding a comment. Now don't ask me what is the use of a chair like this. I appreciate the guys ingenuity.
Check this link on gizmodo.

Unknown said...

One of my friends has sent me this cool link from google video. Am sure you will love it. Now why do they call it Big Dog, instead they could have called it anything else, may be a dancing donkey :).